View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2017-11-20 Mon 04:10:02

Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Trackmania 2 
ThingKing

Post Re: Trackmania 2
Sheesh, custom resolutions are pretty trivial to create. I run TM at 2048x1536 usually but have done 2560x1920, 3600x2700, and 4096x3072. Hrm, I've got a new gfx card since I last did that. Wonder how well it runs now.

2009-09-23 Wed 10:49:35
Profile WWW
Like a Canyon Boss

Damnit :'( course i meant 1200.

The point is its reaaaally big :mrgreen: to me atleast.
Maybe not to mix looking at the resolutions he's done o.o

Anyway i can't wait to see some proper footage of all environments.
This will be a must buy for me :thumbu:

2009-09-23 Wed 10:54:32
Graphician

Mix, I know of custom resolutions but they are rather pointless with flat screens and I know Aru has one. :P

2009-09-23 Wed 11:21:23
ThingKing

I have a flat screen too.

Where I used to work we had LCD panels with a native resolution of 1280x1024 but I drove them at 1600x1024 (squashed to fit, not panning). It wasn't ideal but I had a good reason. The filtering on panels is shit compared to CRTs though. :/

Consumer-level flat panels with a native resolution of 1920x1280 exist too but they are admittedly pretty damn rare.

2009-09-23 Wed 12:42:49
Profile WWW
ThingKing

Sweepstake on how many CMCs come out of retirement for TM2? ;)

2009-09-23 Wed 13:05:16
Profile WWW
Never Gonna Let You Down

Tough call that :drive:

2009-09-23 Wed 14:48:01
Radiant

I'll buy tm2 for sure, but I won't resign from tmuf I believe.

2009-09-23 Wed 18:27:55
Hard Pony

MixD wrote:
Sweepstake on how many CMCs come out of retirement for TM2? ;)

Well I just got a free ISP account today for living in the dorms, and I'll be signing up for a router/line from the telecoms company next week, so I'll be out of this over-one-year retirement. :D

Hopefully a demo or beta comes out soon. I'll definitely buy the game.

2009-09-24 Thu 16:40:25
StellaRacer

ill be there , rude not to :ogog:

be nice to see an anologue throttle and more support for the use of ffb wheel and pedals to be added :drive:

Attachments:
File comment: not tried this setup with tm yet but with the other driving sims ive got it rocks
playseat-g25.jpg
playseat-g25.jpg [ 84.9 KiB | Viewed 3331 times ]
2009-09-24 Thu 21:49:51
Driving God

Mudslinger wrote:
anologue throttle

I'd probably just stick with TMF if they did that. That means there'd be no way to be competitive with joystick, so it'd be no fun :P

But with that setup I'd probably want every game to be a driving sim too xD

2009-09-24 Thu 21:51:47
Profile ICQ
StellaRacer

Zooz wrote:
Mudslinger wrote:
anologue throttle

I'd probably just stick with TMF if they did that. That means there'd be no way to be competitive with joystick, so it'd be no fun :P

But with that setup I'd probably want every game to be a driving sim too xD

the problem i dislike about the current tm is its just not a level playing field there shouldnt be such an advantage by using different controlers it should be the same rgdless what input device being used .

2009-09-24 Thu 21:59:17
ThingKing

Damn, nice setup Mud.

Is a joystick with analogue throttle too hard to use, or are they just too rare? My joystick is an ancient Thrustmaster job and it has 4 analogue axes. I've never tried using an axis for throttle on a car though.

This looks interesting but it was just a quick google hit so I dunno how it compares to other solutions: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/joy ... 386-8.html

2009-09-24 Thu 22:17:16
Profile WWW
Glorious

it actually looks like you would hit the left thing with the right one if you dont accell' when you fully steer left.

i guess
if analog accelleration would be implemented, i'd go to wheel :\ or learn joystick with wheelpedals.

2009-09-24 Thu 23:11:14
Profile WWW
Hard Pony

Holy crap, nice setup Mud! I was hoping just to buy a steering wheel for Gran Turismo 5 next year, but it will still feel empty compared to your pro-racing-sim awesomeness! :zomb: :ogog:

2009-09-25 Fri 06:04:30
Statistical Boss

Quiksilver wrote:
it actually looks like you would hit the left thing with the right one if you dont accell' when you fully steer left.

i guess
if analog accelleration would be implemented, i'd go to wheel :\ or learn joystick with wheelpedals.

yep. using the same stick for analog steering as well as throttle will make it impossible either to steer fully or accelerate fully.

2009-09-25 Fri 08:28:45
Driving God

Awesome Mud :thumbu:

2009-09-25 Fri 09:02:35
ThingKing

Here's a pic of my joystick. Turns out it's a Logitech Wingman, not a Thrustmeister. Highlighted in MD red is the analogue axis I figure you could use quite effectively for accelerate/brake in many driving games.

Attachment:
joystick.jpg
joystick.jpg [ 66.07 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]

The joy handle has the 4th axis, controlled by twisting. I found it pretty hard to use well even in Descent 3, which is what I got the stick for. 6 axes of movement in that game, wut a killer.

Downside of an analogue axis is that you can't press accelerate and brake at the same time... unless you can dedicate 2 axes to them, which some controllers do. Needs support from the game though.

Other controller possibilities:
- trusty Logitech dual action
- cull one of the thumbsticks from a Logitech dual action and install it into a joystick. Serious geekery. Man, that totally takes me back to when I used to mod joysticks (like, in the days when "modding" meant changing the electronics and physical stuff, not painting the thing -.-).
- a controller with only 1 axis per stick. Radio controlled cars often use this scheme. More geekcore. Rly struggling to find a good pic of one. Best I could do: http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j ... el-Car.jpg . Curses @ throwing mine out a few years ago.

2009-09-25 Fri 10:44:20
Profile WWW
Graphician

Xbox 360 pad for windows with custom drivers wins.

2009-09-25 Fri 12:29:54
Driving God

MixD wrote:
Damn, nice setup Mud.

Is a joystick with analogue throttle too hard to use, or are they just too rare? My joystick is an ancient Thrustmaster job and it has 4 analogue axes. I've never tried using an axis for throttle on a car though.

The 3d pro has a small throttle slider but it's awkward to use when steering, there isn't a default "off" position and it's slow to slide it around. Using the stick for gas/brake as well as steering is too tiring on the arm and would make it harder to steer properly.

MixD wrote:
Here's a pic of my joystick. Turns out it's a Logitech Wingman, not a Thrustmeister. Highlighted in MD red is the analogue axis I figure you could use quite effectively for accelerate/brake in many driving games.

My first joystick was one of those, too bad they don't sell it any more. The 3d pro is the new version of it, basically the same functionality. And that throttle slider was even heavier than the 3d pro one.

2009-09-25 Fri 16:59:24
Profile ICQ
ThingKing

Zooz wrote:
there isn't a default "off" position and it's slow to slide it around.
Hmm, yes, good points. With no centring it's hard to get a feel for accurate positioning too.

2009-09-25 Fri 17:59:15
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next