View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2018-10-23 Tue 01:32:17

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Driver license 
nutZz

Post Re: Driver license
Lager atoms equals larger empty spaces right ??

Neutrinodetectors can be watervolumes in which cerenkov radiation (photons) is visible after an interaction of a neutrino with water. they are placed far under ground because most other particles can't travel that far through rock.

whatever. We both don't want to stand in a neutron beam. Maybe magic quik can stop neutrino's :quik:

2010-03-04 Thu 14:46:31
Glorious

neutrinos will stop drop and roll if they see me

2010-03-04 Thu 15:17:39
Profile WWW
Hard Pony

roll on the floor laughing?

2010-03-04 Thu 15:30:09
Glorious

ofcourse
if its the evil kind of neutrinos

the neutral kind would shiver in fear

2010-03-04 Thu 16:26:59
Profile WWW
Never Gonna Let You Down

Coco wrote:
Lager atoms equals larger empty spaces right ??

Neutrinodetectors can be watervolumes in which cerenkov radiation (photons) is visible after an interaction of a neutrino with water. they are placed far under ground because most other particles can't travel that far through rock.

whatever. We both don't want to stand in a neutron beam. Maybe magic quik can stop neutrino's :quik:

Hmm, I'm not sure how true that statement is. Neutrino interactions are basically dependant on the number of atoms in a given volume, which is higher for stuff like lead than it is for water. And believe me, it's still ridiculously small for lead too! If I was made out of lead then I'd happily go walk into our beam too!

We use water because of the Cherenkov radiation in our far detector. (Sorry, I didn't know how complicated to get in my first post, I've done you an injustice there!). Yeah, we put them underground so that cosmic ray muons get stopped by the rock and don't give us nasty background signals.

Our near detector doesn't use water as the target though really. We have lead planes with plastic scintillator planes between them. The lead is the target for the neutrinos and plastic scintillator tracks the particles that occur as a result of the neutrino interactions in the lead. Lead still stops neutrinos better than water does.

2010-03-05 Fri 00:08:21
Like a Canyon Boss

Isnt it awesome how a thread about driver licences can go to this :mrgreen:

And by the way, since there IS a risk of those gaytrinos molesting you in whatever way, what makes you wanna walk through it :O what are the benefits.

2010-03-05 Fri 00:23:24
Never Gonna Let You Down

Haha, I'm surprised that I don't do this to more threads to be honest! This one was sort of :coco:'s fault... :thumbu:

Well, our beam consists of muon neutrinos so if they interacted in the "worst" way then you'd get a muon created (that would go right out of you with no real problems) and maybe a proton would move a tiny distance. Basically nothing at all. The chance of an interaction is so small that it's not worth worrying about at all.

You get hit by a lot of cosmic ray muons (the muon is like a big fat electron) just by walking around every day. That's why they say you get a radiation dose on long haul flights. I assume that these muons haven't done you much damage over your lifetime, so in the unlikely event that a muon neutrino interacts in your body and creates one, then that's like 1 more muon compared to the thousands that have hit you on that day already. A very small percentage increase, a lot less than climbing a hill or something!

2010-03-05 Fri 00:50:04
nutZz

Adding to that the chance that that same interaction leave's you with a mutated cell (cancer in the worst way) is close to nothing. Your DNA (a double helix) would need to be cut on one part of the strand twice in a very short period of time. (Something an inhaled alpha emitter would be very kindly to do for you ;) )

--------
----*---

if the asterix is the place that took the hit, it will just be repaired.
Only if you get hit on the same place in the DNA twice in a row

----*---
----*---

There is a small chance it will cause anything bad. It needs to be on a place that is responsible for some essential protein. and even if that protein isn't made anymore the chances of it being harmless (or deadly for the cell, just how you look at it) is really big!

Via different methods there is a lot more going on in the cell that creates little mistakes in the DNA anyway. So I'll be happy to join Bramble in a walk along his neutrino's :)

Interesting stuff Bramble :thumbu:
We also did little experiments with solid scintilators, but your stuff must be far more advanced ^^ I just did the beginnerscourse compared with your work :geek:

Last edited by Coco on 2010-03-05 Fri 10:56:21, edited 1 time in total.

2010-03-05 Fri 10:51:18
Hard Pony

And Coco joins the list of brains in CMC.

Keep up the interesting discussion guys! I'm lovin' it! :thumbur:

2010-03-05 Fri 10:54:26
Rally Hero

Who is by now in the list of brains? Just curios.. ^^

2010-03-05 Fri 10:56:01
Never Gonna Let You Down

The scintillators are pretty simple actually. I think they are basically polystyrene bars. We have wavelength shifting optical fibres that run down the centre of the bars (they collect the blue scintillation light, convert it to green and sent it along their length). We read them out with avalanche photodiodes and that gives us the signal. Probably not much different to what you've done!

A fairly basic design, just has some big words to make it sound complicated!

2010-03-05 Fri 11:00:23
Statistical Boss

actually together with the universe, one of the only things in physics that really interested me. i'm happy enough to be able to understand this conversation. ;)

2010-03-05 Fri 11:01:47
nutZz

Yep, we had a (I think sodium based) crystal which transported the light to the avalanche photodiodes directly.

2010-03-05 Fri 11:06:36
Never Gonna Let You Down

Sounds fun!

We have some guys back at our university working on using Liquid Argon as a general purpose detector. It's pretty interesting stuff.

In our experiment, we have the scintillators to measure the energy, and the other things to track the particles through the main bulk of the detector.

Liquid Argon can do both of those jobs! It gets Cherenkov light like a water detector so you can tell where the particle goes. But then also as the particle moves it ionises the liquid and this causes the liquid to produce scintillation light! If they can get it working on a large scale then it could be a really nice detector. It kills two birds with one stone!

2010-03-05 Fri 11:44:45
Radiant

Zell wrote:
Keep up the interesting discussion guys! I'm lovin' it! :thumbur:

Yeah, I would like it probably too if I understand it.

2010-03-05 Fri 16:10:47
Hard Pony

xD

2010-03-05 Fri 16:31:19
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4