View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 2018-09-21 Fri 06:22:24

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 MUSE [live at Goffertpark, Nijmegen / 19-06-2010] 
Statistical Boss

Post MUSE [live at Goffertpark, Nijmegen / 19-06-2010]
wew, waited months for this to finally arrive, especially since i missed out on the first couple of gigs they gave here in the netherlands (sold out in two days). luckily, due to the success, they stopped by at nijmegen one more time before the tour ended. and boy, how amazing it was. mindblowing.

the whole thing was going to start at 18h30, but i already left home by train (about 150 km) at 14h00. and even then, i saw people all around me who were attending the concert. eventually arrived at nijmegen central station at 16h15, had to pick one of the extra busses to take me to the goffertpark (big park just outside the city), and there i was even more surprized about the amount of people travelling in the same direction. overloaded busses drove away like every two minutes, continuously. that was promising for that night, and it appeared to be. up and around 40.000 people were attending the gig!! o.O'

ok, arrived, and without a properly working mobile network, i somehow still managed to find some of my friends who were attending as well. the two hours left before the first pre-act were nicely filled by some pizza and being amazed about the simply gigantic podium muse brought along (click). in the end i wasn't really close to the podium (about 100 meters i guess), but nevertheless i was relatively still 'at the front', since way more people were still behind me... ^^'

time for the pre-acts. first up was Ghinzo, a belgium band. volume was still a bit low, but they somehow still managed to give an ok performace. i think such a band would do great on a festival. but when the Editors came on stage afterwards, they did impress. apparently they were already allowed to use the features of the stage more than the first act, and impressed quite a lot more. i only listen to the Editors since a couple of weeks, so i couldn't really recognize most of the songs yet.

but then, at 21h00, MUSE arrived, finally. by now the whole field was flooded with people, and it was an long obstacle track when you forgot to buy some beer or food (luckily bought some before already). the stage filled with masked demonstrators, holding banners with texts such as "they will not force us" and "we will be victorious" (click), followed by the opening song "Uprising" (click) - amazing!!

which brings up the amazing setlist. if i can believe all people on last.fm who have attended way more muse gigs before, it seems that this was one of the most amazing setlists of this tour, and i will gladly believe that (click). since apart from "Butterflies and Hurricanes", every single awesome song passed by!! especially wonderfully performed were "Undisclosed Desires" (even though some might think it's not a true muse-song, click) and "Time Is Running Out" (which can't go wrong, obviously).

01. Uprising
02. Supermassive Black Hole
03. New Born
04. Map of the Problematique
05. MK Ultra
06. Bliss
07. Guiding Light
08. Interlude
09. Hysteria
10. Nishe
11. United States of Eurasia
12. Feeling Good
13. MK Jam
14. Undisclosed Desires
15. Resistance
16. Starlight
17. Time Is Running Out
18. Unnatural Selection

Where "Hysteria" was followed by a "Back In Black" cover outro, and "Time Is Running Out" was introduced by a "House of the Rising Sun" cover.

this was over in no time, but surprise, surprise, they still gave an amazing encore, which almost blew the rest of the gig away... o.o"

19. Citizen Erased
20. Stockholm Syndrome

which are imo two of their best songs. and what a performance... but it was still not over, because they gave us another encore... o.O'

21. Take a Bow
22. Plug In Baby
23. Knights of Cydonia

and that second encore was almost even more amazing than the first one: "Take a Bow" was overwhelming, "Plug In Baby" perfectly performed, and from the beginning on, i already hoped that they would close the gig with "Knights of Cydonia", and they did, with a "Once Upon a Time in the West" cover intro.

now it was really over, sadly. 23 songs, but the time passed by so quick. the only thing left to do was to be fast and buy a t-shirt before everyone else would, and still catch my train in time. i succeeded at the first part, but i sadly missed my last train directly back to home. indirectly got into a town 30 km south of my hometown, where i missed my connection by one minute, resulting in the fact that i had to wait from 1h20 to 2h19 for the next train back home. but it was definitely worth it!!

and to give you an idea of the performance, so videos from youtube. not my own material this time, since the sound recording of my phone is quite terrible.

"Undisclosed Desires" (on the UFO)
"Stockholm Syndrome" (from far, sound not that good)
"Knights of Cydonia" (with "Once Upon a Time in the West" intro)

next time MUSE comes anywhere near my place, i'll definitely be present again!! :vict:

2010-06-22 Tue 09:50:09
manster

Post Re: MUSE [live at Goffertpark, Nijmegen / 19-06-2010]
Never heard of them before, but seeing those pics I can imagine how nice it was ^_^
Never seen such a podium before, wow

2010-06-22 Tue 09:57:20
Statistical Boss

hamster wrote:
Never heard of them before

o.o"

really?! O.O

2010-06-22 Tue 09:58:50
manster

JumperJack wrote:
hamster wrote:
Never heard of them before

o.o"

really?! O.O

Sorry :(, i'll check them on youtube :P

2010-06-22 Tue 10:04:29
Statistical Boss

np, just be sure to check them out on youtube sometimes verrry soon. :D

2010-06-22 Tue 10:08:13
Never Gonna Let You Down

Wow, amazing looking stage set up they had there. Glad you had a great time :D

2010-06-22 Tue 10:10:40
Never Gonna Give You Up

Nice! I'm just getting into Muse at the moment actually :thumbu:

Bit soft and slow for me on average though!

:ogog:

2010-06-22 Tue 15:21:07
Clan Clown

Naïs JJ!! :party:

I'm not very "fan" of Muse ^^
And not very "fan" of such big gigs :DD
But...

I can understand why people like it :D

Important is that you had a great time there! :animal:

:high:

2010-06-22 Tue 16:28:33
Statistical Boss

i'm actually not fond of big gigs either, but there's not really a possibility to watch muse in a small venue... ;)

i'm fond of muse, though. :D

2010-06-22 Tue 16:57:19
Like a Canyon Boss

damn thats a nice setlist :P

almost all of my fav songs are on that

2010-06-22 Tue 19:39:00
Hard Pony

That was fun to read. Nice diary entry JJ ^^

I hope to see Muse some day. That stage probably won't fit anywhere in Israel, so I'll maybe come to Holland next time they're there :D
:ogog:

2010-06-22 Tue 22:08:05
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]